Mandela Washington Fellowship Application Information
· Are between the ages of 25 and 35 at the time of application submission, although exceptional applicants younger than 25 will be considered.
· Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
· Are eligible to receive a United States J-1 visa.
· Are proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English.
· Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Republic of the Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
The U.S. Department of State and IREX reserve the right to verify all of the information included in the application. In the event that there is a discrepancy, or information is found to be false, the application will immediately be declared invalid and the applicant ineligible.
· A proven record of leadership and accomplishment in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
· A demonstrated commitment to public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
· The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
· Strong social and communication skills.
· An energetic, positive attitude.
· Demonstrated knowledge, interest and professional experience in the sector/track selected.
· A commitment to return to Africa and apply leadership skills and training to benefit the applicant’s country and/or community after they return home.